History Hoydens

Example

Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

16 November 2006

Favorite Sites, with Allison Knight


The most extensive research site I've found for just about anything you want, and some things you don't want, if Deb Lawson's collection of URL's. It is fabulous.
Of course, a site I visit on occasion is www.howstuffworks.com . There are times when I want to describe something mechanical of know how something was done when, and this is the site. But watch out. You may be there for hours if how things work interests you.

One of the first sites I learned about and have used often and that probably why she gets awards every year, is Charlotte Dillon's web site.
And last but not lease, if you've been as confused as I always was about English titles this site is another must have. Everything about titles and what title to call your character is in this one. It takes some searching but it's all there.
Thank Kalen for asking me to Blog. Hope your readers enjoyed my comments and like the links. I enjoyed myself very much.

Allison Knight

6 Comments:

Blogger Kalen Hughes said...

I'll second all of those! Esp. HOW STUFF WORKS. They're section on black powder guns is great.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Judy T said...

Dear Kalen, I'm not sure if I should thank you or grumble that I've now got enough to keep me busy for quite some time. I love learning new things, and I'm terribly curious about how things work! I think I'll say thank you for sharing!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Patricia Rice said...

The sun is shining and I'm crawling out of my deadline cave to blink around, so I thought I'd stop by here to say hi. And what do you do but give me even more distractions to immerse myself in my cave again?! Lovely websites, thank you. Now, if only I could figure out how to find them again when I really need them...

12:05 PM  
Blogger Kalen Hughes said...

Have you checked out the wonderful world of del.icio.us?

I keep track and organize the Beau Monde's vast collection of links this way.

You can cross reference stuff so that you don't have to remember exactly where you stored it. For example The Proceedings of the Old Bailey site I have under both CRIME and LAW. “A New System of Domestic Cookery” (a cook book from 1807) I have under BOOKS, FOOD, COOKING, and RECIPES.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Kathrynn Dennis said...

Hi Allison,

I love the peerage website. I get involved in reading that stuff and the next thing you know, its midnight!

And hey, good to know that a title simply can't be bought (at least not nowadays). If I ever meet a real duke or an earl, I want to know he is the real deal. ;-)

4:17 PM  
Blogger Diane Perkins said...

Wow, Allison, these are terrific sites. Thank you so much for sharing.

My most used sites are Answers.com and
dictionary.com and http://www.etymonline.com

But now......oh wow!

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online