History Hoydens

Example

Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

06 February 2007

Welcome back, Celia May Hart

Made for Sin
by Celia May Hart
Aphrodesia—January 30th, 2007


Two very different sisters with one thing in common--the good fortune to find men who'll show them how heavenly sin can be...

Lucy Waverton's wild escapades are the talk of the ton. Fleeing the notorious Earl of Radbourne's carriage after a delicious seduction, she meets a soldier whose hard body and rebellious streak stir her newly awakened desires. Sergeant Michael Hall may be low born, but his every caress takes Lucy higher and higher, into a realm of pure carnal ecstasy...

Searching the country for her reckless younger sister, Caroline Waverton instead finds herself in the company of the rogue who reputedly ruined Lucy. Alex Radbourne is decadent, depraved, and devilishly skilled at uncovering Caroline's secret, forbidden desires. The refined Miss Caroline has a thoroughly wanton side, and though each knows the affair is wrong, nothing could feel more right than surrendering to sinfully erotic abandon...


Made for Sin is set in Regency England. How did you become interested in this time period? What you love about it?

For that, we need to go back into the mists of time.... I think the culprit would have to be either my introduction to Georgette Heyer, or the movie “A Hazard of Hearts”, based on a Barbra Cartland novel. I fell in love with the costuming and the “hamming” by the actors and decided that this must be a fun period. Heyer’s adventure tales confirmed it, plus that added wit. Since then, I have glommed Heyer and Austen and every film adaptation I can find.

What do you like least about this period? Anything that constrained you or that you had to plot carefully around?

A woman’s reputation is always to be upheld. They certainly don’t gamble, get into a closed carriage with a man who is no relation and oh, all sorts of things. Fortunately, my heroines are bad girls. They still face the consequences of their actions (for the most part) and that makes it interesting.

What sparked this book? Was it a character? An historical event? A scene you just couldn’t get out of your head?

It’s interesting -- the wild-child younger sister Lucy and the army sergeant started this book. I wanted to move out of refined circles a bit, where “manners” don’t matter. About half way through though, Lucy’s older sister Caroline and her Earl captured my attention, so the book ended up about evenly split between the two, which is unusual.

Did you have to do any major research for his book? Did you stumble across anything really interesting that you didn’t already know?

I had to figure out how long it took to get from Durham to Dover -- and whether or not I could avoid London altogether in so doing.

Care to share a bit about your writing process? Are you a pantser or a plotter? Do you write multiple drafts or clean up as you go?

Last time I participated in this interview, I wrote that I was a bit of both. I think that is still true, although lately, all I’m getting is a beginning and I’m brave enough (once I’ve thought of a few things that might possibly be happening) just to jump into the void and have the characters take me where they will. I sometimes still have to stop and brainstorm what happens next and when I get started on that, I practically plot all the way to the end of the book. It’s weird. I used to just write in one certain style or routine, and now it’s whatever gets the words down.

What are you planning to work on next?

Is I wrote last time, I send in some new Aphrodisia ideas and I’m still waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, I’m finishing up a Dark Ages romance proposal, which is a tough sell given that everyone isn’t in fine attire. The wit, I have to say, is still quite dry and biting. I mean, that’s half the fun of writing a Regency.

After that, I need to go back to an Elizabethan historical fantasy idea that I started last year before contracts derailed me (not that I’m complaining!!!!)


9 Comments:

Blogger Kalen Hughes said...

A Hazard of Hearts! I've been trying to remember the name of that flick for YEARS! I totally remember watching this as a teenager and loving it. LOL!

The new book sounds wonderful. Dirty men from the ranks should make my friend Susan W. happy. *grin*

7:02 AM  
Blogger Pam Rosenthal said...

Hi Celia. I love the idea of a Dark Ages romance proposal

Hugs,
Pam

10:41 AM  
Blogger Celia May Hart said...

I don't know if is available on DVD, but I have it on video somewheres... Hmm, I should go check it out.

Pam, thanks -- it's in revision right now. And I'm staring at a note that I handwrote -- more description. I've been there about a day. But I have tossed out a whole bunch of stuff in my office in the meantime!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Jacquie said...

Whichever way you go, I'm with you! Love the Dark Ages--wish we had more romances set during that period. And Elizabethan is so full of political intrigue as well as cultural changes. And then, of course, we have Will and his peers.

I'll be anxious to read both!

Jacquie

4:52 PM  
Blogger Celia May Hart said...

Jacquie -- Heh. So will I!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Keira Soleore said...

Celia, hi! It's so nice to chat with you here again.

I love, adore, love the complex history of the Middle Ages, particularly the early centuries. I can't believe that editors and publishing houses are thumbing it down because of a lack of um flashy attire?!

Kalen, I just read your post on Morocco. I would love to visit Fes and its medina. What do you think of the medina of Marrakech? Did you get to visit the mosque of Quutubia (sp?) And what do you think of the mint tea? And the grilled meats and delicacies? Oh, and one last question :) What did you think of the carpets?

9:34 PM  
Blogger Kathrynn Dennis said...

Hi Celia,

Is your cover from a fine art painting? It's beatiful. Very classy.

Kathrynn

9:48 PM  
Blogger Kalen Hughes said...

For Keira:

The median is Marrakesh is fantastic. Very different from the one in Fes, for all that it sells the same items. It's more aggressive on the part of the sellers, and the prices are WAY lower (some stuff is 10% of what it cost in Fes!). I bought the most amazing leather overnight bag yesterday (2’x3’, hand sewn, shaped kind of like a giant doctor’s bag) for less than $100 US. Today I’m hitting the spice market . . .

I've seen the mosque(s) there are lots of them, but most you can only see from the outside. The mint tea is great (but I've had it before). The food is good, but not as good as Fes or Rabat. I've been avoiding the carpet souk. My best friend is Turkish and I have all the carpets I'll ever need, besides which, here it's all kelim, which I don't really like.

What's really cracking me up is that apparently I'm super hot in Marrakesh. I've had dinner with a different Moroccan guy every night. LOL! I can no longer get to the main square without having to stop and chat to one of my lovelorn dates. *roll eyes*

1:47 AM  
Blogger Keira Soleore said...

<wolf whistle> (If I knew how to whistle.) Perhaps you should post a picture up here for us all to admire, too. You know, a writer can write from anywhere. The roof-top cafe over the medina, from a tent in Ouarzazate (are you visiting there btw?), one of those medieval sand cities (what are they called?), on a camel's back, the hotel is Fes's old city, etc. etc. You should move to Morocco. San Fran is overrated, as your beaux would hasten to remind you. :)

Oh, that's right; I forgot. I believe there's only one mosque, and that's in Casablanca I believe, that non-Muslims can visit.

Thank you for kindly taking the time on your vacation to write in such detail. I hope to visit someday soon. I'm just dying to do so. But until then... it's through your eyes that I'm seeing the places. :)

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online