History Hoydens

Example

Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

31 August 2007

Have a Great Labor Day Weekend!


There’s nothing better than fall weather and a lovely labor day weekend in California. The sun is warm, there’s a cool breeze, and the trees in the hills are just beginning to turn orange and red. Perfect time for a hike or a trail ride. So I’ll diverge from a historical post and take a break. I'm ready to enjoy a long weekend.

The season inspires me to pack a snack and wander in the woods---preferably on horseback. Then my mind tripped over the wandering part and I wondered what would happen if I got lost on my horse and both of us were hungry. Well, the horse could probably survive eating whatever grass and nibbles could be found, but I’m not much of a naturalist. I wouldn’t know an edible berry from a toxic one, but if I’d had the forethought to pack food for a “just in case I get off the trail”…I’d have something in my edible in my saddlebag. Hopefully, I was creative and I packed some kind of food I and my horse would actually eat.

I’m not usually a granola/trail-mix-eater, preferring chips and chocolate to the healthier stuff, but hey, when you’re hungry and lost in the woods---just the thought of dried fruit and peanuts makes your mouth water. How about:

Kathrynn Dennis’ Saddlebag Trail Mix

1/2 cup raisins
1 cup roasted, lightly salted peanuts
½ dried mixed fruit bits
1cup dried banana chips

I’ve had testimonials from horse owners that their horses dig this. I’ve tried it, too. It’s pretty good. I kinda like the mix of salty and sweet and the boost you get from just a handful. Reminds me of the bottom of the feed sack where you find the little clump of grain stuck together with molasses. We used to fight over it as kids (and, I’m ashamed to admit, we rarely shared that nugget with our horses).

Anyway, saddlebag trail mix is my contribution to the History Hoyden post today, and as far as I know it’s safe for horses, too, as long as the peanuts aren’t moldy. ;-)

My first book, Dark Rider, is released next week and I’ll be blogging then about the book, writing, and something I’ve mused a lot over lately, the making of historical novel video teasers. I’ll be giving away cover flats and other goodies to commentors.

Oh yeah, in Dark Rider, what the horses eat is a pivotal plot point (hint, it isn't trail mix).

Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Kathrynn Dennis

5 Comments:

Blogger Lynna Banning said...

Kathynn, I just ordered Dark Rider and can't wait to read it!
Congratulations on your "baby."

8:15 AM  
Blogger Kathrynn Dennis said...

Thnak you, Lynna. I know you know where DARK RIDER started...it was a very long gestation!

Best, Kathrynn

9:06 AM  
Blogger Pam Rosenthal said...

Congrats, Kathrynn. Looking forward to it. And a happy holiday weekend to everyone.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Gabriele C. said...

I can see horses liking that mix. They like much stranger things, sometimes. The one I co-owned with a friend was very fond of those mint and eucalyptus candies you take against a sore throat. Would move them around in her mouth with her tongue, the crazy girl. :)

And don't get me started on that Coke drinking pony.

Congrats on the book release.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Kathrynn Dennis said...

Thanks, Pam. And thank you, Gabriele! Wow, eucalyptus? That's my kinda horse---one with lots of personality. ;-)

Best,
Kathrynn

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online