History Hoydens

Example

Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

14 August 2007

Welcome, Cindy Holby!

Rising Wind
By Cindy Holby
Available Now!

Last of the Duncans - Leaving behind the Highlands for the New World at the tender age of ten, Connor Duncan learned quickly that only the fit and the fortunate survive. He was both, becoming a scout and an expert marksman…a man to be reckoned with. He knew his way through the backwoods as well as any Shawnee, but he was far less comfortable in the drawing rooms of Williamsburg. What was a rough-hewn frontiersman like he to do with a sheltered beauty like the governor’s niece? But there seemed to be no way to avoid the “Virgin Widow,” especially when she insisted on accompanying him on a dangerous mission through the wilderness to Fort Savannah. Neither capture, nor torture, nor the violent birth pangs of a young nation could keep them apart or stop the founding of a brand new dynasty of Duncans.
Cindy will be giving away a copy of Rising Wind to one lucky poster, so don't forget to put your email address in your posts!

Rising Wind is set in 1774, right before the Revolutionary War. How did you become interested in this time period?

I grew up on a historic battlefield so I’ve always been drawn to the place and the time.

What you love about it?

The courage of the people. They carved a society out of the wilderness. They sacrificed their lives for freedom.

What do you like least about this period?

Probably the lack of running water. It was a hard life. And the horror of being a captive of the Shawnee. To be at someone elses mercy would be a terrible thing.

Anything that constrained you or that you had to plot carefully around?

The fact that I used actual people from history was kind of freaky. I felt like I owed them respect for their accomplishments but also kind of juggled their stories to fit mine.

What sparked this book? Was it a character? An historical event? A scene you just couldn’t get out of your head?

The Battle of Point Pleasant where I grew up. And Connor Duncan. He came alive so quickly when I placed him in this time.

Did you have to do any major research for his book? Did you stumble across anything really intersting that you didn’t already know?

Lots of research. A lot I knew but wanted to get the facts straight. I learned a lot about Daniel Boone. Such as the horrible death of his first son and his brother died practically in my back yard 250 years ago.

What/Who do you like to read?

About anything. Right now I’m anxiously awaiting Harry Potter. I just got hooked on Jodie Picoult. Also Alyssa Day, Barb Ferrer, Linnea Sinclair. A wide variety of genre’s.

Care to share a bit about your writing process? Are you a pantser or a plotter? Do you write multiple drafts or clean up as you go?

Defininetly a pantser. I clean up as I go.

What are you planning to work on next?

I’m fnishing up Twist, an urban fantasy for the new Shomi line that I’m writing under my Colby Hodge name. Then next is Fallen, another colonial piece about an English Soldier and a Scottish bondservant. I’m looking for the perfect local now. Which will involve lots of research.

8 Comments:

Blogger Victoria Dahl said...

Cindy, this sounds wonderful! I hadn't read an early American historical in so long, then I read Surrender by Pamela Clare and fell in love with this era all over again. (Though hers is set slightly earlier, I think?)

Brava on making such a tough sale! I can't wait to read it!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Judy T said...

I've read several books that incorporate real characters, and like the technique. Do you list the real characters separately?

(Hope you enjoyed HP :-D )

11:32 AM  
Blogger Kathrynn Dennis said...

Hi Cindy, thanks for blogging with us.

I just visited the Civil War battlefield in Pea Ridge, Arkansas (my parents backyard!) and I got the feeling immediately of the place and the time.

So cool that you can actually get out and walk around where the scenes in the book take place.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Tracy Grant said...

The book sounds wonderful (reading the synopsis made me want to rewatch "The Last of the Mohicans" :-). I so understand your comment about writing about real historical characters. I've used real people in larger roles in books recently and I struggled with fitting them into my story (as seamlessly as possible!) yet trying to be true to the spirit of who they really were.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Cherie J said...

This sounds great Cindy! It is so hard to find romances from this time period these days. Love the cover as well.

1:36 PM  
Blogger janegeorge said...

A Colonial! Cool, and congrats.

Your physical connection to the history of the land can't help but come through in the book. Good luck with the next one, too.

3:16 PM  
Blogger anne said...

I am intrigued with this novel and love this period. Historicals of that era always appealed to me. Cover is wonderful.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

This is so cool, I love that period of American History, just before we became a nation. And I love Colonial Williamsburg. I can't wait to pick this up!

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online