History Hoydens

Example

Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

17 November 2007

Love on Horseback: Win a Signed Coverflat!

I'm heavily into revisions on my next book, SHADOW RIDER, and I struggle daily with procrastination. I surf the net. I'm addicted. I go online and join readers groups, and blabber away longer than I should.

Last week, I was considering writing in a love scene where the hero and heroine are amorous on horseback. Getting started on that scene has been a challenge . . . and I must say I think actually doing the deed on horseback would be technically impossible. But I posted on a readers group, and asked for help. I asked for titles of romance books that had such a scene so I could study up.
Before that, I knew of only one book, Johanna Lindsey's SAVAGE THUNDER (Fabio is on the cover of the original 1989 release) where such a scene occurs . . . but boy, did the readers came through!

I now have 17 books on my list where the hero and heroine are making love on horseback, and yes, most, but not all, are historical romances! A rodeo cowboy even wrote me and assured me all things are possible on a horse. Really. ;-)

I would like to add to my collection, so if anyone out there can send me a name of a book (it doesn't have to be romance; Savage Thunder excluded) where the hero and heroine are making love on horseback, I'll send you an autographed cover flat of DARK RIDER! While supplies last. Yes. Really! And even if you don't know a title, post a comment, offer your opion. Do you think this kind of scene works? Or would it jar you out of the story?

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Keira Soleore said...

Does making love on the back on a one-humped camel count? :) If so, read Cherry Adair.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Lynna Banning said...

Well, golly-gosh, seems to me the most direct research would be to climb on a horse, with a guy, and ...

10:15 AM  
Blogger Tracy Grant said...

I'm pretty sure there's a love scene on horseback in Laura Kinsale's "The Prince of Midnight"--toward the end. The hero is a highwayman, I think--it's been a while since I read it, but it's a good book.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Kathrynn Dennis said...

Keira, I've heard about the camel love scence, but I can't recall the name of the book! Do you know it, by chance? It should have an honorary place in my collection!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Kathrynn Dennis said...

Ohhhhh, Lynna, I can't believe you said that! LOL!

And having fallen off a horse when I was just plain 'ole riding . . . well, I think I leave the "extreme research" to those with a stronger fortitude than mine!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Kathrynn Dennis said...

Hey, thanks Tracy! I looked up the cover of "The Prince of Midnight" and wow, very nice. With the shirtless hero on a black stallion. I sent that to my editor and asked if she could get me that kind of cover for SHADOW RIDER...well, a girl can dream. ;-)

12:02 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

At the risk of my reputation being completely ruined and all of you giving me the cut direct, I can tell you with no equivocation the deed CAN be done on horseback. With one's husband. On a placid horse with a broad back. You get the picture.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Kathrynn Dennis said...

Oh my goodness, Doglady. Now I have two credable reports that it can be done on horseback. Okay, I feel better now. Like readers won't absoulutely laugh at these scenes!

Thank you for the confirmation. And should I say happy trails?

11:05 PM  
Blogger Keira Soleore said...

Oops, Kathrynn. Looks like my comment from yesterday disappeared. So here's the name of the Cherry Adair book again: Out of Sight.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Kathrynn Dennis said...

Thank you Keira! I am ordering Out of Sight!

Best, Kathrynn

12:00 AM  
Blogger Kathrynn Dennis said...

PS, Keira, if you want a cover flat, drop me a line at kathrynn.dennis@gmail.com

12:02 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

I think in "Scandal's Bride" by Stephanie Laurens, the couple make love on horseback.

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online