History Hoydens

Example

Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

27 November 2007

Welcome, Celia May Hart (third time's a charm!).

Celia May Hart

One More Time

Available Now from Aphrodeisa!

Travel back to a world where lords and ladies ruled the ton by day and wild, wanton abandon ruled them at night...

Abby Deane has no problems piloting a small plane to her new job -- until she lands and realizes she has traveled back in time to Regency England. She's fascinated by everything around her, especially the seductive Myles Hardy. If she can't get back to her own time, she might as well enjoy the potent sensuality simmering beneath that rock hard body...

Myles Hardy can't take his eyes off the mysterious and alluring woman who's suddenly appeared in front of him. Miss Abby Deane talks of the future, but it is pleasuring her here and now that most intrigues him. And her bag of sensual delights holds the key to revealing her most secret desires and forbidden fantasies...

RT TOP PICK. 4.5 STARS!! "This scorching roller-coaster of a read is an erotic page-turner. It has romance, intrigue, licentious nobility, a Greek god come to life and an unexpected ending. Feisty Abby and sensual Myles are the perfect couple to surmount the obstacles in their way. This may have been the first book I've read by Hart, but it certainly won't be the last!" -- Bella March, Romantic Times Bookclub Magazine

One More Time is set in Regency England. How did you become interested in this time period? What you love about it?

One More Time is very briefly set during the present-day England. Very briefly, because I prefer to get into the historical period as quickly as possible. So our heroine time-traveled and I was much more comfortable! I just love that it’s an elegant period, without being as rigid as the Victorian period. You could still have fun.

What do you like least about this period? Anything that constrained you or that you had to plot carefully around?

A girl still had to take care of her reputation. And here I have a modern heroine that had to adjust to a different set of social standards. I got around that by having them initially alone in a house (don’t have to worry about anyone else) and then when the house’s real owners showed up, well, they had a bit of a reputation themselves. Readers of my earlier book, SHOW ME, might recognize them -- it’s the Duke of Winterton and his family.

What sparked this book? Was it a character? An historical event? A scene you just couldn’t get out of your head?

I came up with this super way-out idea. I thought, “My editor’s never going to go for this.” And she did. Hook, line and sinker. I was doing some reading for an earlier book, and my editor pointed out “The Pleasures of the Imagination: English Culture in the Eighteenth Century” and there it all was: a club that collected ancient artifacts, and er, if it were erotic or naked so much the better. Well, more of that later in the week :)

But how could you not write about that? And then it wasn’t just about the statues but well, a whole wild paranormal twist that made it “super way-oout”.

Did you have to do any major research for this book? Did you stumble across anything really interesting that you didn’t already know?

Beyond reading through “The Pleasures of the Imagination” and doing some research on modern sex toys, nope that was it!

What/Who do you like to read?

I have new must read authors. I probably mentioned Elizabeth Bear last time. She writes science fiction/fantasy. The latest “ooh” is Sarah Monette. She writes the most amazing fantasy novels. I’ve read the first two and just could not put down the second. I was snatching minutes to read it and channeling one of the protaganists. The only time that’s ever happened before is with Lois McMaster Bujold’s Miles Vorkosigan.

The last romance I read was Pam Rosenthal’s “The Slightest Provocation” in which she truly touched my heart, so I have to find a place for that quote that got to me. I’m currently reading Janet Mullany’s “The Rules of Gentility”. I’ve just started it, but I expect to do a fair amount of giggling and maybe even an indelicate snigger or three.

Care to share a bit about your writing process? Are you a pantser or a plotter? Do you write multiple drafts or clean up as you go?

Once you sell, well, it stops being finishing a novel from beginning to end and writing proposals. I’m a mix of pantsing and plotting. (More of a plotter.) But even so, I find that I have an idea for the beginning and just pants the first three chapters. At that point I stop and plot how I think the rest of the book will go. I run it by my brainstorming gals, the Goofy Gals: Judy Laik, Jacquie Rogers and Sherrie Holmes, and they point out all the Mac Truck sized plot holes and so it goes.

I really miss writing a novel all the way through though.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pam Rosenthal said...

Thanks, Celia, re the "touched my heart." Pretty touched myself, that you mentioned it.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Kathrynn Dennis said...

Hi Celia, I can see why One More Time won your editor over! Luscious concept and wonderful cover, too. ;-)

Best and congrats on the TOP PICK!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Tracy Grant said...

Congrats on the book's release and the top pick, Celia! The story sounds great! Did you know from the beginning that it would be time travel or did you start with the club that collected the artifacts and decide on the time travel later?

12:25 PM  
Blogger Celia May Hart said...

Tracy, I knew from the beginning it was a time travel. What I didn't know about was how the whole Greek god thing was going to turn out. He'd be embarrassed to hear it, but he started out as a prop!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Amy S. said...

One More Time sounds great! Great interview!

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online