History Hoydens

Example

Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

30 April 2008

Shop for the Cure with Brenda Novak

I was in fifth grade when I read my first historical romance. It was JANE EYRE and, from that moment on, I was hooked. Next I tore through WUTHERING HEIGHTS and GONE WITH THE WIND. And then, when I was in eighth or ninth grade, I found Kathleen Woodiwiss. I was introduced to Kathleen’s work via A ROSE IN WINTER, and it remains my favorite book to this day. So is it any wonder that when I started writing I chose to target the historical romance market?

OF NOBLE BIRTH, my first novel, came out from HarperCollins in November of 1999, and I still think the cover is one of the most beautiful clench covers ever shot. I’ve heard the cover model’s name is Massimo (but could be wrong about that). With such a start, who would’ve guessed that nearly nine years later I’d be writing romantic suspense? LOL Had I not been orphaned when Harper bought Avon , who knows, maybe I’d still be writing historicals! Or maybe I’ll have the opportunity to come back to them some day. I keep telling my editor about an idea I have for a series. I’m drying to write it. If only for the time…

One of my other favorite books of all time is OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon. I’ve also really enjoyed Amanda Quick and Catherine Coulter’s stories. I’m sure I’m not alone, which is why I’m so excited to tell you about my upcoming on-line auction for diabetes research May 1 – May 31st at http://www.brendanovak.com/. There, you can bid on a once-in-a-lifetime chance to have lunch with Diana Gabaldon, Amanda Quick (Jayne Ann Krentz), Catherine Coulter or myriad other items that should thrill any fan of historical romance (or any fan of any kind of romance).

I started this fundraiser four years ago and made it an annual event in an attempt to help my eleven-year-old son (diagnosed at 5) and the many, many others who struggle with diabetes. The need is there--and thanks to many, many generous donors, we’re doing what we can to help.

In the first three events, we managed to raise over $250,000. This year, we’re hoping to match that amount. How? By offering over 1,200 items, many of which can’t be found anywhere else—just like those opportunities to have a personal lunch with one of your favorite authors. There are too many items to list here, so you’ll have to hop over and check it out, but just to whet your appetite, how would you like to win:

An elegant, framed autographed picture of Johnny Depp, Keira Knightly and Geoffrey Rush?

A trip to Hawaii including airfare, accommodations, surf lessons AND spending money from Jane Porter?

A lovely Victorian Wedgewood Cameo donated by Dianna Drake?

A Kindle with a $100 Amazon Gift Certificate from K.M. Daughters?

A trip to San Francisco, Eaton’s Ranch in Wyoming, Las Vegas, New York or Africa ?

An 8 GB Nano with $100 iTunes Gift Certificate from Carly Phillips?

Autographed advanced reading copies of books from your favorite authors, including MR. CAVENDISH, I PRESUME by Julia Quinn (which isn’t out until October)?

Rare and out-of-print books, autographed, by authors like Loretta Chase?

YOUR NAME in Sherrilyn Kenyon’s next Dark Hunter book?


The auction runs just like E-Bay. You shop the entire month of May (there are also one-day auctions going on each day so be sure to check the schedule), bid on whatever you like and pay for what you win via Paypal, credit card, personal check or money order after the auction ends. The person who places the highest number of bids over all, even if that person doesn’t win a single item, will be awarded an amazing prize package that includes a brand new Camcorder (retail value of at least $1,000), Your Name In My Next Book, an autographed copy of TRUST ME (6/08--the first of The Last Stand series), and chocolate (lots of chocolate)!


And that’s not all. As a way to promote the auction, Debbie Macomber, Susan Wiggs, Allison Brennan and I are sponsoring a very fun contest, the winner of which will take a friend on an exciting trip to Port Orchard and Bainbridge Island that includes so much fun stuff I don’t have room to write it all here. Go to http://www.brendanovak.com/ to enter the drawing, register for the auction and receive a $10 gift certificate off your total bill (one coupon per shopper).

Here’s to making a difference!

-Brenda

5 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Wonderful cause Brenda. My dad suffered from diabetes, which made his later years quite painful. As soon as I get my log-in, I plan to bid and bid often.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Amanda Elyot said...

Bravissima for doing this, Brenda. My husband's mother lost her legs due to diabetes, and my husband can't eat any sugar, honey, faux sugar subsitutes, corn syrup, etc., because he was diagnosed as a teen and told that if he gave all that up, he'd never need insulin. He did, never let the stuff pass his lips to this day and found a way to regulate his own system. It makes dining out a bit harder, so we rarely do it, but he's remained as healthy as possible by being super diligent.

I'll log in as well!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Kalen Hughes said...

Wonderful idea, Brenda!!! I think nearly everyone I know has been touched by either type one or type two, and the results can be life threatening. My godmother lost her daughter at 21 to juvenile diabetes so this is a cause near and dear to me.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Lauren Willig said...

Yay, Brenda! You're amazing for putting all of this together.

2:07 PM  
Blogger doglady said...

This is just such an amazing event! I already told Brenda on another blog that my dear, dear CP suffers from Type 1 Diabetes so this is a cause near and dear to my heart!

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online