History Hoydens

Example

Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

29 July 2008

San Francisco: Arriving

The last time I was in this city it was only for six months. We lived in an apartment in Pacific Heights and I loved every minute of it. San Francisco has only improved in my absence.

From my hotel window I can see the giant statue of a man reclining high up on the roof top edge of a building, a structure that is such a visual distortion that it must be the oddest place in the world in which to work, the Bridge to Oakland and a spot called Mel's Diner that apparently has the best milk shakes.

It's amazing how many RWA people now arrive on Monday. I've been doing it for years but the few I talked to came early to do some serious sightseeing before the conference starts. The group I am with will do what we always do on Tuesday -- go shopping. There are some fabulous stores all within walking distance of the hotel. I know this is the land of Ghirardelli chocolate but I am hoping to find some See's Truffles -- my personal favorite

Note that the only bit of history in this post is that I lived her for six month once upon a time. I must add that I would love to do it again.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pam Rosenthal said...

Hi Mary and welcome to our fair city (as the guys on Car Talk would say).

My experience of this RWA, since I live here, will be quite opposite -- how to get the most out of the conference, without the simultaneous pain and pleasure of being away from home...

...especially because we're leaving San Francisco in a week, for 10 days in Berlin, meaning I have to verify cat care, decide what to pack, deal with house-sitters...

...while I also make my house ready for my RWA conference guest, Janet Mullany...

...and decide how much of my real life I want to obtrude into conference time...

But I am looking forward to seeing you and the other hoydens who are coming.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Mary Blayney said...

Had so much fun today. The women here are so very well-dressed, at least in this part of town, near Union Square. The locals are friendly and generous and not a single person jaywalks.

Pam, I will be in your position next year when the conference is in DC -- though I expect I will stay at the hotel as I live about 90 mins from town.

Hope to see everyone at the Literacy Signing tomorrow night!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Tracy Grant said...

Welcome to SF, Mary! Hope you had a fabulous time shopping! Like Pam, I'm coming in from home for meetings and events, trying to balance them with "real life." It's definitely less disruptive, but I sort of mis hanging out in the hotel with fellow writers and exploring a new city.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Mary Blayney said...

The Beau Monde/Hearts Through History Conference was a masterpiece of information, entertainment and good food. Thank you,Kalen, for all you did to make it such a well rounded experience for us. I missed the evening soiree which was after the Literacy Signing which makes it a really long day. Despite that my conference experience would not be the same without the Wednesday focus on all things historical.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Pam Rosenthal said...

Chiming in with Mary. The Beau Monde/ History conference was a jewel -- I did Courtney Milan's workshop on women's property rights; Kalen's on costume; Kalen's on tippling (wonderful period alcohol) -- and then I reeled over to hear about Roman hand-to-hand combat (cause I guess I'm still hooked on classics). Lunchtime conversation was mostly 18th century France. What a great group of women, and what a great and fearless leader Kalen is (she's prez of the chapter). I told her she was like our Jack Aubrey, sailing the ship new and exciting places, inspiring the crew...

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online