History Hoydens

Example

Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

04 August 2008

San Francisco Departing

What a fabulous city. How could you not have a great conference in a city that is so welcoming? *I* thought the weather was perfect -- cool and mostly sunny. I arrived on Monday and had a day to recover (ie shop). Flowers everywhere, stores for all ages and wallets and at the heart of it all Union Square.

The work portion of the adventure started off on the highest note -- with the Beau Monde and Hearts Through History joint pre-conference conference. So much information I must admit that I was overwhelmed and wished that some of the workshops had been presented again during the RWA conference. Maybe next year.

Bountiful and endless congratulations to our own Kalen Hughes who was the power behind the organization and several of the presentations. She has an amazing group of friends who all seemed delighted to participate and there were several familiar faces presenting workshops as well. I so appreciate Candace Hearn's willingness to share her collections.

One of the highlights was a chance to meet the History Hoydens face-to-face, even if it was the fifth meal I had at the hotel restaurant (good thing I really like those quesadillas.) Doreen was wearing one of her wonderful scarves, Kathrynn talked about her next book. Kalen seemed relieved and relaxed (if one can apply that word to Kalen). I was too far from Lynna Banning for anything more than hello, Tracy sat across from me and we all talked history and new blog ideas and professional bits and pieces (aka gossip.)Pam was there too and suggested dinner for anyone free and ready to talk more. I was not able to make that dinner but trust that conversation flowed without stop.

The best part of the conference for me is the chance to see friends that live far far away plus a few that are right next door. Lots of time in the bar and in the dining room which means more food and drink than is natural. It also means lots of exercise when I get home.

The only RITA or Golden Heart winners I knew were Madeline Hunter and her excellent editor, Shaunna Summers, (who also happens to be my editor)Congratulations to them both.

All in all it was an A+ conference for me.

This post is only about history to the extent that the conference is in the past. And it is more personal than we usually are. My apologies if that offends but I am still in San Francisco. I leave today and while I will not leave my heart behind, I would come back in a minute.

What did the rest of you think?

3 Comments:

Blogger Lynna Banning said...

Mary--I was sorry we had no more than a Hello... I would have liked to talk (and for a shy person that's saying a lot).

3:30 PM  
Blogger Tracy Grant said...

It was so much fun to meet Lynna and Mary in person and catch up with Kalen, Pam, Doreen, and Kathryn. I only wish would had two or three times as much time to talk :-). One of my favorite things about writers conferences is the chance to talk to other authors, exchange stories, brainstorm plot ideas, share research tidbits. it was so fun to have the conference in San Francisco and see so many people enjoying a city I love.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Pam Rosenthal said...

It was so terrific to be at the same table with so many hoydens -- unfortunately I was just a little too far away to say more than a hello to Kathrynn -- but hopefully that won't have to wait until next year in DC (looking forward to that one already). Sorry you all weren't there.

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online